Wednesday, July 8, 2009

with the LINES

I... am terrible with the lines
So when she asked me for mine
I didn’t know what to say
Nor how to construct the words
To make things OK
Real talk, I probably made them worse
And the love bird in my heart
Made not a squeak nor a chirp
She didn’t smile
Just stared a while
It seemed like she was waiting
For confirmation
That OUR love was circular
Meaning that which she was giving
Was exactly what she was receiving
So…She just stood there
In full stare
Hoping and believing
And I couldn’t think
Standing mute
No limbs… just a blink
And my eyes must not have been working
Sure, they saw her hurting
But couldn’t make her for certain
That I wasn’t a jerk and
That I wasn’t just some cold blooded creature
She took a deep breath and said…
Ok, then…See ya
Realizing there was no more
She turned to the door
Swallowed real hard
And squeezed one last tear on the floor

3 comments:

  1. WOW!

    "But couldn’t make her for certain
    That I wasn’t a jerk and
    That I wasn’t just some cold blooded creature
    She took a deep breath and said…
    Ok, then…See ya
    Realizing there was no more
    She turned to the door
    Swallowed real hard
    And squeezed one last tear on the floor"

    The way you weave stories through poetry is riveting, KJ.

    By the way...I'm so glad I'm not single anymore. LOL That's the kind of drama that I certainly don't miss, whether on the giving or receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. it's drama i tell ya.

    Yet, this one deals with communication.. re-assurance... which married people still deal with. It's the leaving part... that SHOULDN'T exist in marriages though.

    gotta stay in there.
    But hopefully I conveyed some good emotion and feeling in this one.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave your thoughts!